This page may contain links from our sponsors. Here’s how we make money.
These sites and communities allow buyers and investors to find businesses for sale. And they provide sellers with an easy way to reach potential buyers.
This article explores the best places to buy and sell websites, including brokers, marketplaces, Facebook groups, and more. I’ll also make some recommendations based on my own experiences as a buyer and seller.
Website Marketplaces for Online Businesses
Here, you’ll find details of the specific sites, brokers, and groups you can use to buy or sell an online business. I’ll make recommendations based on different types of transactions.
- Quiet Light: Best for sites making at least $5k per month
- Empire Flippers and Investors Club: Best for sites making at least $2k per month
- Motion Invest: Best for sites making less than $2k per month
1. Quiet Light: Best for Sites Making at Least $5k Per Month
Quiet Light is a brokerage built by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs. Every broker on their team has extensive experience building, buying, or selling online businesses. That means they have invaluable first-hand experience and are not simply salespeople.
I highly recommend Quiet Light (and Brad Wayland, in particular) based on my own experience selling two different sites. Both experiences were excellent, and I would certainly work with Brad again in the future.
Some brokers and marketplaces focus on specific types of websites, but Quiet Light deals with just about any online business. If you browse the listings on their site, you’ll find content-based websites, e-commerce sites, Amazon FBA businesses, SaaS, membership sites, email newsletters, and more.
Quiet Light doesn’t have as many active listings as you’ll find at some other marketplaces covered in this article, but that’s not bad. They take a quality-over-quantity approach. For buyers, that means you won’t have to weed through lots of low-quality listings to find the gems. And for sellers, your site will get plenty of exposure and attention.
New listings are posted to their site frequently, and buyers can also subscribe to receive new listings via email.
Most of Quiet Light’s listings are in the 6-7 figure range, although some are higher or lower.
Quiet Light emphasizes that they take a no-pressure approach. From my experience, this has been true. They’re more interested in finding the ideal match between buyer and seller than trying to close a deal through high-pressure sales tactics. I’ve found them to be extremely honest and trustworthy.
For sellers, Quiet Light makes the most sense if your site generates at least $5,000 per month or more. For smaller businesses, other options may be a better fit.
- All of Quiet Light’s brokers are experienced and successful entrepreneurs.
- Over 85% of listings sell within 90 days or less.
- 47% of listings sell at or above the asking price.
- Quiet Light offers a free website valuation.
Quiet Light Selling Fees
Quiet Light does not charge listing or upfront fees. Sellers only pay fees if Quiet Light successfully sells the site. The fees are:
- 15% on the first $500,000
- 5% for everything above $500,00 and below $1 million
- 10% from $1 million – $2 million
- 9% from $2 million – $3 million
- 8% from $3 million – $4 million
- 7% from $4 million – $5 million
- 6% from $5 million – $6 million
- 5% from $6 million – $7 million
- 4% from $7 million – $8 million
- 3% above $8 million
2. Empire Flippers: Best for Sites Making at Least $2k Per Month
Empire Flippers is one of the most recognizable names in the industry. I haven’t personally bought or sold sites through Empire Flippers, but I did speak with their team members a few times about potentially listing a site with them. They have a strong reputation as a top online marketplace.
There’s a lot of activity at Empire Flippers, with several new listings every Monday. You can find listings on their site or subscribe to the email list to be notified immediately. Each site goes through a vetting process before being listed.
Like Quiet Light, Empire Flippers lists and sells many different types of online businesses. The list prices generally range from 5-7 figures, with the majority being six figures.
- Empire Flippers has sold more than $450 million worth of online businesses.
- Their historical success rate (percentage of listings sold) is over 70%.
- Empire Flippers offers a free valuation through an online calculator (get a valuation without even talking to anyone).
- They offer a free migration service to transfer the site from the seller to the buyer.
Empire Flippers Selling Fees
Empire Flippers does not charge a listing fee. Fees are only assessed if they sell your site. The commission structure is tiered, based on the selling price:
- The first $700,000 is assessed a 15% fee.
- The value between $700,000 and $5 million is assessed an 8% fee.
- Anything above $5 million is assessed a 2.5% fee.
That means the fee is 15% for all sales of $700,000 and below. If your site sells for $1 million, you’ll pay $105,000 on the first $700,000 (15%) and $24,000 on the remaining $300,000 (8%), for a total fee of $129,000.
Empire Flippers is a full-service brokerage and one of the leading marketplaces for buying and selling websites and online businesses.
- More than $450 million of online businesses sold
- Large marketplace with many active listings
- Huge audience of buyers and investors
3. Motion Invest: Best for Content Sites Making Less Than $2k Per Month
Motion Invest is a unique platform focusing exclusively on content-based websites (blogs and niche websites). Most of these sites are monetized with ads and affiliate programs, especially Amazon affiliate sites.
Most of the listings at Motion Invest are priced below $100,000, although there are sometimes higher-priced sites. You’ll find sites making a few hundred or a few thousand dollars per month and starter sites.
Motion Invest is uniquely positioned in the industry since most brokers and some marketplaces focus only on larger businesses. Motion Invest may be a good option if you’re looking for your first site to purchase because of the smaller asking prices. And if you’re looking to sell a site that’s making less than $2,000 per month, Motion Invest is one of the best options.
Due to the small price tags, sites at Motion Invest tend to move pretty quickly. As a result, you may need to act fast if you find something you like.
This marketplace uses a Dutch Auction. The list price is reduced every two days until a site sells or reaches the reserve price set by the seller. If you (as a buyer) wait longer, the price may drop, but you also risk losing the site if someone else snatches it up.
- Although Motion Invest has only been around since 2019, they’ve already sold more than 1,000 sites.
- They have successfully sold 97% of the sites listed on their platform.
- Sites under $100,000 have sold in an average of 18 days.
Motion Invest Seller Fees
Motion Invest doesn’t charge any fees unless they sell your site. The fees are tiered based on the selling price.
- The first $20,000 is assessed a 20% fee.
- Amounts between $20,000 and $50,000 are assessed a 15% fee.
- Amounts between $50,000 and $100,000 are assessed a 10% fee.
- Amounts between $100,000 and $500,000 are assessed a 7% fee.
- Amounts above $500,000 are assessed a 5% fee.
Motion Invest is one of the best places to buy or sell content-based sites. Most brokers ignore businesses worth less than $100,000, but not Motion Invest. You'll find starter sites and established sites priced in the 4-5 figure range.
- 97% success rate
- Active marketplace with new listings each week
- More than 1,000 sites sold
FE International is one of the industry’s largest and most accomplished business brokers. They sell a variety of online businesses, including SaaS, e-commerce sites, content sites, and more.
Most of the listings at FE International are for businesses generating anywhere from $20,000 -$1 million or more each month. As a result, these businesses have higher list prices than what you’ll find at most of the other marketplaces covered in this article.
If you have a successful, well-established business that you’re looking to sell, FE Internation could be an excellent choice.
As a buyer, you’ll need a healthy budget to buy the sites listed at FE International. However, these businesses are typically very well-established and highly profitable.
- FE International has facilitated the sale of more than 1,200 businesses for a total of more than $1 billion.
- Their success rate is 94%.
FE International Fees
FE International is one of the few brokers that charge buyers a fee. The fee is 2.5% of the sale price, with a maximum buyer’s fee of $1,000.
FE International does not publicly list the seller fees. However, it’s been reported that the fee is 15% for the first $500,000, and the commission decreases on larger deals.
Investors Club is a marketplace that lists various types of online businesses. Currently, most of the listings are content-based sites monetized with display ads and/or affiliate revenue.
Although some of the listings at Investors Club have prices that exceed $1 million, most of them are somewhere between $25,000 – $200,000. If you’re looking for a site in this price range, Investors Club has a nice selection.
Investors Club performs due diligence on each listing to verify details like income and traffic. However, you should still do your own due diligence before buying.
Buyers can sign up for a free account to view the listings. Alternatively, Investors Club offers a Premium membership ($59 per month or $247 per year) that provides access to listings five days before free members, plus unlimited access to due diligence reports.
Like Empire Flippers, Investors Club offers a free valuation tool you can use to check your site’s value in just a few minutes. They also offer white glove support, including assistance with the transfer and a free escrow service.
One of the ways that Investors Club stands out is by offering some of the lowest fees in the industry.
- To qualify for listing on Investors Club, content sites must earn at least $500 per month, have content in English, and have at least six months of verifiable traffic and earnings.
- E-commerce sites must earn at least $1,000 per month, have primarily English content, and have at least 12 months of verifiable sales history.
- Most of the listings on Investors Club have asking prices between $25,000 – $200,000.
Investors Club Sellers Fees
Investors Club doesn’t charge a listing fee. They charge a success fee of 7% of the selling price, with a minimum success fee of $1,000.
Investors Club offers a free valuation tool that only requires a few minutes of your time. Enter details about your site, including traffic, income, and expenses. The tool will provide you with a report showing your site's estimated value. If you like what you see, you can proceed to list it for sale with Investors Club.
Flippa is one of the most well-known and largest online marketplaces for websites and online businesses. It’s been around since 2009, so it’s also one of the oldest in the industry.
There are a few different ways to sell your site or business on Flippa. They offer a brokerage service, but the most popular option is to simply create your own listing in the marketplace. The details in this article relate to the general marketplace listings.
Flippa has far more listings and activity than the other sites or marketplaces covered in this article. That comes with pros and cons. As a buyer, there are lots of sites available to buy, but you’ll have to weed through many low-quality sites to find something worth buying.
Unlike some other marketplaces and brokers, Flippa doesn’t perform due diligence on marketplace listings. As a result, a lot of garbage makes it through. There are a lot of lower-priced listings here, so it can be a good place to find a site if you have a limited budget. However, you need to be very careful.
There are some dishonest sellers and outright scams on Flippa, more so than what you’ll experience with other marketplaces. In general, I don’t recommend Flippa for inexperienced buyers. But if you have experience, you may be able to find some diamonds in the rough.
Compared to other marketplaces and brokers, Flippa involves a DIY approach. It’s up to the buyer and seller to handle the sale, closing, and transfer details. There is no assistance in these areas.
- Flippa’s community includes over 600,000 buyers and investors.
- More than 12,000 deals are completed each year.
- Flippa offers several optional add-on services in addition to marketplace listings.
Flippa Seller Fees
Flippa charges a $49 listing fee. The success fee for marketplace sales is:
- 10% if the site sells for less than $50,000.
- 7.5% if the site sells for $50,001 to $100,000.
- 5% if the site sells for more than $100,000.
Website Properties is a broker that sells any type of website or digital business. They focus on well-established businesses with listings that currently (as of the time this article is being written) range from $90,000 to $7 million.
Compared to the other brokers and marketplaces already covered in this article, Website Properties is most similar to Quiet Light and FE International because of the size of the deals. You’ll find a lot of e-commerce, Amazon FBA, and dropshipping businesses listed here. However, they also sell other types of online businesses.
Website Properties is very well-established in the industry, with more than 20 years of experience. They have an impressive track record of success, so they’re certainly worth a look if you want to buy or sell an established website or online business.
If you’re interested in selling, Website Properties offers a free valuation. Simply fill out the form on their site, and they’ll reach out to you.
- Website Properties has sold more than 600 businesses worth more than $550 million in total.
- They’ve closed 90% of the businesses they’ve listed.
- They have a substantial buyer list with more than 35,000 subscribers.
Website Properties Seller Fees
Website Properties does not charge a listing fee, and sellers only pay a fee or commission if the business when the business is sold. However, Website Properties does not publicly list its fee structure.
Latona’s is another well-established broker that sells a wide variety of websites and online businesses. Based in Puerto Rico, Latona’s was founded in 2008 by Rick Latona.
They have a very active site with 59 current listings, at the time of writing. Those listings range from $59,000 to $10 million, with most being in the six to low-seven-figure range. You’ll find many types of businesses, including content sites, e-commerce businesses, Amazon FBA, SaaS, lead generation, and membership sites.
Latona’s offers a free valuation for potential sellers. They only consider businesses that have been in operation for at least one year, and you must have between $20,000 and $100,000,000 in annual profits.
- Latona’s has been in business since 2008.
- They regularly close deals in the five to eight-figure range.
Latona’s Seller Fees
Latona’s charges a 15% commission on the selling price. Fees are only collected if they successfully sell the business.
BuySellEmpire is a marketplace that helps to match buyers and sellers. They’re not a full-service brokerage like Quiet Light, FE International, Website Properties, and others. Instead, their service is somewhat limited, and the fees are lower than full-service brokers.
They have some specific criteria for businesses to be listed in their marketplaces. Websites/businesses must:
- Generate a minimum of $1,500 per month in revenue or profit.
- Have a minimum of 12 months of verifiable traffic and revenue.
- The content must be only in English.
The process of selling through BuySellEmpire starts with a free valuation. Fill out the form on their site with your business details, and they’ll review it to see if your site/business is a good fit. They’ll help you create a listing and then promote your business to their list of buyers.
As the seller, you’ll be put in touch with vetted potential buyers, and you can negotiate any offers you receive. This is different than working with a full-service broker who would handle many of these details, including the negotiation, for you.
Selling with BuySellEmpire may be a good option if you’re comfortable handling more of the process and negotiations on your own.
At the time this article is being written, there are 12 businesses listed for sale at BuySellEmpire. The list prices range from $23,000 to $7 million, with most being in the low-to-mid six figures. Potential buyers can subscribe to get new listings via email every Tuesday.
- BuySellEmpire is a marketplace that helps sellers get visibility for their listing, without providing the comprehensive services of a broker.
- They have a success rate of 90%.
- They do not require exclusivity from sellers.
BuySellEmpire Seller Fees
BuySellEmpire does not charge a listing fee. Fees are only applicable if the website/business is successfully sold. The fee structure is tiered, based on the final selling price.
- Businesses sold for less than $500,000 with pay a 7% commission.
- Businesses sold for $500,000 – $5 million will pay a 6% commission.
- Businesses sold for $5 million to $10 million will pay a 5% commission.
- Businesses sold for more than $10 million will pay a 4% commission.
SideProjectors is a unique site unlike any others covered in this article. It focuses specifically on side projects, so these are new or smaller businesses. You won’t find large, well-established businesses here.
This free community can be used to sell online businesses, find co-founders, or showcase projects you’re working on. There’s no cost to create a listing and no fees if your side project is sold through the side. SideProjectors is monetized by an optional $3 monthly membership, plus ads.
This could be an excellent place to buy a website or business if you’re working with a limited budget. It can also be an excellent resource for sellers since the options for selling small projects are limited.
- SideProjectors does not charge any fees for listing or selling a business.
- All submissions must be reviewed and approved by a moderator.
- SideProjectors does not get involved in the communication between buyer and seller, negotiations, or site transfers.
SideProjector does not charge listing fees, success fees, or commissions to buyers or sellers. The only fee for using the site is an optional membership for $3 per month. The membership provides an ad-free experience on the site, customized email alerts, the ability to send direct messages, and other perks.
11. Facebook Groups
Did you know there are Facebook Groups dedicated to buying and selling websites? Many brokers and marketplaces focus on larger, well-established businesses, so smaller deals are often neglected. Facebook Groups help to fill this void in the market.
As a buyer, Facebook Groups can be excellent resources for finding lower-priced opportunities. This includes starter sites and others making a few hundred dollars per month. However, proceed with caution. Be sure to do your own due diligence and remember that no broker or marketplace is verifying any of the details posted by sellers.
You’ll find a variety of sites in these groups, but content-based sites are by far the most common. Many of these sites are monetized with ads and affiliate programs, especially Amazon Associates.
If you want to sell a site, Facebook Groups can get your site in front of potential buyers and investors. Motion Invest and Flippa are two of the only other possibilities for selling a smaller site.
Although several Facebook Groups exist for buying and selling websites, here are some of the largest and most popular.
These are active groups with thousands of members and frequent activity. You’ll need to request to join each of them, but once you’re accepted, you can browse the current activity.
Most listings in these groups do not include the URL. Some sellers will provide the URL to anyone who sends them a private message, and others are more selective about sharing the URL.
- You must join the Facebook Groups before seeing the activity or posting.
- Most sites listed and sold through Facebook groups are small (3 or 4 figures), although some are larger.
- The listings are not verified or vetted, so proceed with caution.
- Be sure to follow the rules of each group to avoid being banned.
Facebook Group Seller Fees
These Facebook Groups are free, so there are no fees for selling your site.
What is the Difference Between a Marketplace and a Broker?
A marketplace is an online platform that connects buyers and sellers directly. The seller lists their business for sale, and then buyers can make offers or negotiate the terms of the sale with the seller directly. A broker is a professional who handles all aspects of the sale on behalf of the seller, from listing to closing.
What Value Does a Website Broker Provide?
Qualified brokers offer significant benefits to sellers, including:
- Help with valuation and determining the listing price
- Creation of an enticing listing and marketing materials
- Exposure to a large pool of potential buyers
- Initial communication with potential buyers (reducing the time needed from the seller)
- Assistance through the due diligence process
- Assistance with closing (including contracts and legal agreements, in most cases)
Most sellers don’t have the expertise or network that a professional business broker provides.
How Much Do Website Brokers Charge?
The fees vary depending on the broker and the dollar amount of the sale. However, 10-15% is common for deals below $500,000. The fees are often reduced for larger deals. Most brokers do not charge a listing fee. In this case, you’ll only pay the fee if the sale is completed.
Why are Broker Fees So High?
Professional brokers bring significant value to the sales process. They have years of experience, a large network of buyers and sellers, and specialized industry knowledge.
Also, brokers can often help sellers get a higher price than they could get on their own. This is primarily because brokers have such large databases of buyers, and they can generate more demand. It’s possible that you could come out ahead, even after the broker fees, because of the higher selling price.
Final Thoughts on Website Marketplaces and Brokers
If you want to buy or sell a website, there are several marketplaces and brokers available. I’ve highlighted some of the best options in this article, but be sure to do your own research. My top recommendations are:
- Quiet Light: Best for sites making at least $5k per month
- Empire Flippers and Investors Club: Best for sites making at least $2k per month
- Motion Invest: Best for sites making less than $2k per month